Pittsfield Better Block, was an initiative that was part of the Tyler Street Transformative Initiative (TDI) revitalization effort. This planning and rapid prototyping process engaged residents to learn more about the ongoing work in the Morningside neighborhood of downtown Pittsfield, Massachusetts. The Better Block process takes a grassroots approach to planning, allowing the community to have direct involvement with rapid build-out and construction of revitalization projects, according to MassDevelopment.
The project’s goals for participants and the community included:
- Recognizing how placemaking and community design influence successful aging, health, economic vitality and overall livability;
- Fostering healthier and more vibrant communities;
- Sustainable transportation and land-use patterns;
- Encouraging complete streets and placemaking; and
- Enhancing perceptions and attitude toward community change
Project Type – Urban Planning Technology
Location – Tyler Street Transformative Development Initiative – Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Date – September 2016 – July 30, 2019
The Pittsfield Courbanize platform was utilized as a community engagement tool as well as an archive of all the planning efforts that were undertaken during the 3 year TDI planning initiative. The site served as a portal where investors, business owners, and residents could provide input on various development activities happening in the district, view planning documents, and access economic development incentives.